Another lovely spring day and after a leisurely breakfast in the garden we set of on the hour long journey to Tidal River on Wilson’s Promontory. Sheila the sat-nav took us on an interesting and rural route avoiding the main road.
On route we came across this sign which baffled us a bit. After researching on the interweb we came up with this explanation. “The Poison Post was erected in the late 1800’s to mark where poison was laid to eradicate wild dogs and dingoes. On the original stock route linking Western Port with East Gippsland, it defined the corner of Wonga Wonga, Waratah, and Yanakie Parishes, Poison Post became quite a significant landmark to local residents and was used until 1960”
The southern-most tip of the Australia mainland is unspoilt, with white sand beaches. The Prom is a granitic batholith from the lower Devonian
More spectacular views of the bush.
We didn’t walk to South Point the southern-most point of Australia as it was about a 5 hour walk to get there! https://www.aussietowns.com.au/town/wilsons-promontory-vic
At Tidal River the bush extends right on to the beach on what appear to be giant sand dunes.
This cheeky kookaburra on his vantage point just before he swooped on a bag of chips carried by an unsuspecting tourist, the kookaburra was in turn mobbed by a squabble of silver gulls.
The monument commemorates the Commando units of World War Two who camped and trained at Tidal River, and all the commandos were died or were killed during World War Two and in conflicts post World War Two.