Mo’s Temporary New Home

Wollongong.

A seaside city about 51 miles south of Sydney. It is the third largest conurbation in New South Wales now has a population of around 300,000 people and the 10th largest in Australia. Originally the indigenous aborigines here were nomadic Dharawal hunter-fisher-gatherers. The area was first visited by Europeans in 1796 when Bass and Flinders landed at Lake Illawarra, although the first settlers are believed to have arrived in 1815.

The name “Wollongong” is believed to mean “seas of the South” in the local Aboriginal language, referring to NSW’s Southern Coast. Other meanings have been suggested, such as “great feast of fish”, “hard ground near water”, “song of the sea”, “sound of the waves” no one seems sure!

Mo’s balcony bottom right, White Cliffs.
The approach, well tended garden
First entry, the security door.
The balcony, with the harbour in view.

Wollongong Harbour History

The original inner harbour completed by a convict workforce in 1844 required further improvements during the 1860’s and 1880’s in order to accommodate the rapid increase in shipping trade.

To meet the growing demand for ship loading facilities a tee-shaped jetty was built from the Central Spur in 1880. A stream driven crane operated from the end of a railway running along the jetty.

Demolished in the 1920’s, the jetty’s only remains are the cranes iron and concrete base seen jutting from the harbour directly forward of this position.

Still to be seen within the western wall of the central spur is the slipway once used in the launching the Harbour Pilot’s life boat.

Wollongong Harbour is the only point on the east coast to have 2 lighthouses, the other being Wollongong Headland Lighthouse. 

With the expansion out of Sydney in the early 1800’s, Wollongong Harbour was developed to serve the new township of Wollongong and the Illawarra region. In the 1860’s work on the harbour included the construction of a basin and breakwater. At this time “… at the end of the pier a red light was fixed to guide boats into the harbour.” 

In 1869 tenders were invited for the construction of lighthouses at Wollongong and Ulladulla. Manufactured in England, shipped to Australia and assembled, construction began in November 1870 and although completed in March 1871, it stood unfinished until the lantern arrived from England in June 1871. More delays occurred until finally it was brought into permanent use on 1st March 1872. The lantern was manufactured by Chance & Co Birmingham England and was described in 1873 as being “… a fixed Dioptric system of the 4th Order with a fixed red light.” The original apparatus was dismantled around 1970, as it was proposed to use this at Eden. The light was permanently extinguished in 1974. In 2000 the light was fully restored.

Flower bed by the back door.
Meanwhile back at site of the granny flat……….
Bobby Charlton (the dog), hanging out with the men discussing the extension for Maureen!

Video of The North Beach 5 minutes from the Apartment on Sunday.

A Stroll by the Pacific Ocean

Flower garden at the apartment.
Sky Divers https://www.skydive.com.au/sydney-wollongong
Tandem Divers! You guessed, not us.
Big Boy’s Toys, https://www.revolutionise.com.au/wollongongyc/
Surf life savers on duty North beach Wollongong. http://nwslsc.com.au
The Foreshore looking towards Flagstaff Hill and the Lighthouse.
Gull
Crashing waves on the rocks, looking north.
The Ocean Pools.
The Continental Pool.

Return to Wollongong

Typical Aussie motel at Yass, where we stopped on the last night of our road trip.

The Big Marino

https://www.bigmerino.com.au

The Big Marino, Goldburn. NSW

Spring Flowers

We stopped for a break in a little town called Boorowa, the streets were lined with the most beautiful red roses.

The only drystone wall we’ve seen on our trip.
The blow hole at Kiama, (not my photo).

Robertson

Robertson School of Art
The Big Potato Robertson

A rough idea of our route.
Seems there’s a shortage of leaders in Oz as well.

Parkes

The Henry Parkes Museum

Bellows for the forge
Hay loader.

A few ploughs and such.
Wheelbarrow

Wheelbarrow

Wheelbarrow

Wheelbarrow

Traction engines under the gum trees.

Detail of a decaying wooden wheel.

Me on the railway bench

Mo with a big tractor
The dunny

Little grey Fergies get everywhere.

The Dish and Parkes, NSW

Locally known as the dish, this is the radio telescope that relayed the TV signals of the Apollo 11 moon landings to the world on the 21st of July 1969. There’s a well maintained visitor centre, and we had scones and home made fig jam and cream in the cafe. (Recommended by a local, naughty but nice!)

The telescope is used and controlled remotely by scientists all over the world to collect any minute radio signals from furthest space, some of which are so weak that visitors are asked to turn off any electronic devices which could cause interference on the site.

https://csiropedia.csiro.au/parkes-radio-telescope-and-the-apollo-11-moon-landing/

The Movie The Dish fact or fiction? https://www.atnf.csiro.au/outreach/visiting/parkes/looselybased.html

These are members of bands who had come to play at a charity event at the town show ground on Saturday night in aid of farmers affected by the current drought here in Australia. They were given a VIP tour of the Dish in thanks, we tried to get on a tour but it seems they don’t do it for members of the public, c’est la vie! If only we’d known they were so famous we might have taken more notice in the cafe. https://www.atnf.csiro.au/outreach/visiting/parkes/looselybased.html

The town is very pretty at the moment, the jacarandas are in flower, this is a residential street, see how wide it is. It’s spring here, so the gardens are looking good as well.

Golden mantled rosella, poor photo but the first one we’ve seen.

Hilltop Cenotaph
View from the Cenotaph

Father of the Federation

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Henry-Parkes

Cobar… a cabin amongst the trees.

Silky Oak

Galahs
Corvid

Enjoying the sounds of the birds more here now we’re on our way east.

This little town situated 243m above sea level, and 711km north-west of Sydney. Cobar the word is said to derive from the Ngiyampaa aboriginal word for red ochre, which has been mined here for generations, originally called Gunnar it has been anglicised to Curbar.

It has a superb mining museum and visitor centre. The Europeans discovered copper in 1869, the area is very rich in base metal and continuing exploration and new technology over the past 140 years has expanded the reserves in the area leading to re-opening of closed mines when metal prices improve and mothballing when prices retreat. This has occurred on a constant basis and has caused the population of Cobar to expand to as many as 10,000 and contract to as few as 600 as a result.

Copper ore, lead and zinc, are all mined here amongst other minerals. There are gold and silver mines here as well and the Jewellery exhibit in the museum is interesting!

Old Mine Workings Cobar

Poignant message from a young WW1 soldier.
Pontiac, someone’s former pride and joy!

More local minerals all found here in Cobar.

Cut and polished azurite
Malachite and Azurite
Crystallised cuprite with malachite

You guessed I quite like malachite!
Fabulous Jacaranda flowerhead.
Miners Memorial

Marshall Street Cobar
From our deck early evening Thursday.