A seaside city about 51 miles south of Sydney. It is the third largest conurbation in New South Wales now has a population of around 300,000 people and the 10th largest in Australia. Originally the indigenous aborigines here were nomadic Dharawal hunter-fisher-gatherers. The area was first visited by Europeans in 1796 when Bass and Flinders landed at Lake Illawarra, although the first settlers are believed to have arrived in 1815.
The name “Wollongong” is believed to mean “seas of the South” in the local Aboriginal language, referring to NSW’s Southern Coast. Other meanings have been suggested, such as “great feast of fish”, “hard ground near water”, “song of the sea”, “sound of the waves” no one seems sure!
Wollongong Harbour History
Wollongong Harbour is the only point on the east coast to have 2 lighthouses, the other being Wollongong Headland Lighthouse.
With the expansion out of Sydney in the early 1800’s, Wollongong Harbour was developed to serve the new township of Wollongong and the Illawarra region. In the 1860’s work on the harbour included the construction of a basin and breakwater. At this time “… at the end of the pier a red light was fixed to guide boats into the harbour.”
In 1869 tenders were invited for the construction of lighthouses at Wollongong and Ulladulla. Manufactured in England, shipped to Australia and assembled, construction began in November 1870 and although completed in March 1871, it stood unfinished until the lantern arrived from England in June 1871. More delays occurred until finally it was brought into permanent use on 1st March 1872. The lantern was manufactured by Chance & Co Birmingham England and was described in 1873 as being “… a fixed Dioptric system of the 4th Order with a fixed red light.” The original apparatus was dismantled around 1970, as it was proposed to use this at Eden. The light was permanently extinguished in 1974. In 2000 the light was fully restored.
Video of The North Beach 5 minutes from the Apartment on Sunday.